Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Peanut Butter Cups

I had a "moment" a couple of weeks ago, when I was at the store and saw all of the 50% off leftover Halloween candy.  Reese's Cups have always been my favorite candy of all time.  They had an individual pumpkin marked down next to nothing.  It wouldn't hurt to have just one, right?

I am amazed at my willpower.  I put it right back into the display and left it.

Fast forward to yesterday, when I started browsing through The Vegan Cookie Connoisseur.  Sure enough, there was a recipe for peanut butter cups!  I had to try them.



Chocolate:

1 1/3 cups chocolate chips
1 tablespoon shortening

Peanut Butter Filling:

2 teaspoons margarine
3/4 teaspoon soy milk
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract



Melt the chocolate and shortening in a makeshift double-boiler or microwave.

Spoon a little of the melted chocolate into the lined mini cupcake pan, coating the sides with your finger.  Save the rest of the chocolate for the tops of the cups.

Filling:  Melt the margarine over medium-low heat.  Add in the soy milk and brown sugar and stir for 30 seconds.  Stir in the peanut butter, graham cracker crumbs, and vanilla.  Once mixture stops sticking to the sides and forms into a ball, transfer to a bowl.

Fill each chocolate mold with 1 teaspoon of the peanut butter mixture and smooth out the tops.  Use the rest of the chocolate to coat the tops of the peanut butter cups.

Let peanut butter cups set at room temperature, then store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.

I stuck the pan in the microwave and left it to set overnight.  They turned out great!

No comments:

Post a Comment