Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Steak, Please!

I made steaks today.  Literally made them...  No moo was harmed in the making of my dinner.

I guess today was a warm-up for Thanksgiving; I wanted to get back into cooking mode.  I spent a lot of time in my kitchen today!



I got the recipe from here, but my broth mix was a little different.  No dried chipolte pepper, so I used curry as a stunt double.  I didn't have regular hot sauce, so I subbed Sriracha.  The broth used up all of my onion powder, so a quick trip to the store later, I had the correct ingredient lineup for the dough.


 Rollin', rollin', rollin'...  Get that dough a-rollin'...  SEITAN!

Steak strips!

This is where I started getting excited...  They actually started looking like steaks!


Marinating.  I used Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce.  I let them rest while I started making my sides:  collard greens and millet mashed potatoes.



My kitchen smelled so amazingly good at this point.  HOWEVER: the recipe told me to fry them for 8 minutes on each side.  Yeah, no.  The first side got blackened and I had to cut off a layer.  I flipped them and  let them go for 3 more minutes, and they were good.  I'm sure I'll make these again at some point, so I'll know to only go 4 or 5 minutes on the first side, if that.


My sides turned out pretty good.  I'd reduced the amount of collard greens, so next time, I'll take them off the burner a couple of minutes earlier, but they were still edible.  The millet mashed potatoes were awesome!  I think that the steak would be along the lines of a medium-well regular steak, due to the recipe calling for such a crazy long cooking time.  I used a little of the leftover marinade over the finished product (after removing the blackened top layer).  Curry, Sriracha, hot sauce...  They were hot!!  Good, though.

Now I'll get ready for my first vegan Thanksgiving!  My mom told me to bring something sweet, so I'll have to find an awesome dessert recipe for everyone.  Good thing vegan sweets are SO good, huh? :)

1 comment:

  1. That all looks absolutely fantastic!

    You can also bring a tofu based pie: pumpkin or chocolate 'cream' always seem to be winners with the vegan and non-vegan crowd since you can't even tell they were made with tofu :)

    ReplyDelete